Thursday 9 June 2011

Pride and Prejudice

I've certainly learned my lesson regarding the Comments sections of mainstream newspapers.  This report on why Brangelina's children won't go to school prompted so many prejudiced and stereotypical views of home education that I couldn't resist countering some of the more extreme assumptions.  Naturally, my pride in dd's achievements and interests shone through, which clearly irked some of the more judgmental participants in the debate.  The fact that DD attends a writing class facilitated by a professional author (alongside schooled children - it's one of those social activities that they don't believe our kids have access to) was evidence to this person that I am "an idiot of a parent".  Presumably, this was because I had the arrogance to believe that a published writer might be best equipped to help children with their own writing.

And despite several home educators outlining exactly how much socialization our children have, comments kept on coming through to the effect that children shouldn't be home with their parents all day.  Because it's well known we keep 'em in the cupboard under the stairs until they turn 18!  I despair, really I do.

Never again - it's not worth the effort to type a response to such ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment