Monday 28 December 2009

The Third Degree

I suppose it's not surprising that people might want to understand our decision to home educate. But it can be stressful. While having a very pleasant night out with some of my oldest friends, the conversation turned to our "home-schooling" (their terminology, which demonstrates one of the fundamental misunderstandings that are so difficult to challenge - that we all attempt to provide miniature schools-at-home).

Relaxed chat turned into feeling like I'd been given the third degree, with all the predictable questions: "what about socialization?"; "what we do about science?"; "surely there can't be enough 'experts' in enough subjects among home-schoolers to provide a balanced curriculum?"; "how many hours a week in our timetable?", etc, etc?

I started by trotting out the standard and very easy answers to these questions, the things that home educators understand through the process of living this life. That our children's social lives are far more rooted in the diverse relationships that they will encounter in the real world (as opposed to being herded into age-specific groups and coerced into the same space at the same time, regardless of personal disposition). That, in an information-rich society, anyone who needs to learn about anything can find ways to draw on the necessary resources. That any learning undertaken in the real world is highly efficient, so that a new concept that takes 10minutes to discover could, in a school environment, take a term's-worth of lessons paced to the average student in a class of 30, with all the attendant targets and repeated explanations and registration periods that go with this approach.

But, do you know, at a certain point, I thought to myself, "Why am I bothering?" I know that there are people who I'll not convince, and it's a waste of effort to try to change their opinions. It's too easy to come across as defensive when it's preferable to hold to the mantra that "It's working for now and if it stops working, we'll find another way of doing things". After all, I'm sure that my friends would be deeply offended if I queried every aspect of every lesson and every extra-curricular activity that their children undertake at school. I'm sure they'd tell me it's none of my business. Rightly so.

So, here's a New Year's Resolution that I firmly intend to make: I'll no longer waste energy attempting to justify our choices to those who will not be swayed, but instead will simply do my best to ensure we live and learn to the full in our own way.

5 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic resolution. I think I'll join you. Mine is that the word 'should' will henceforth be banished from my house and my head. You're sooo right about some other people and their attitude. I recently made my self go to an event where I knew there would not be any other home edders as I was becoming a bit concerned about ghettoising myself. Most of it was fine, but I did get the 'Oh you're home schooling (grr!)How interesting.' I soon realised though that questions such as 'Don't you think...?' and 'What about...?' were actually polite ways of showing that they thought I was completely wrong-headed and hadn't thought it through. I reached the same conclusion as you that they weren't going to be swayed and that I was wasting my time trying. Oh, and that, as you say, if I'd questioned what they did/ were doing in any aspect of their lives they'd rightly have been affronted. Maybe I'll have to develop a mantra of my own. Thinks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, don't you love it when someone asks you if you've fully thought through what you're doing? I'm sometimes inclined to say, "Oh no, I never consider things like that, I just make huge life-changing decisions on the spur of the moment 'cos I'm SO irresponsible!" Have managed to bite my tongue so far ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resolutions, though, Liz - no "shoulds" and no pointless justifications. Let's stick to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been thinking about this one. How *do* you stop someone in full flow, politely, and deliver your mantra so that they know that you wish them to stop interrogating you, without seeming rude? I mean, I want to be an ambassador for home ed, but I'm not interested in converting anyone. It can be difficult sometimes to latch on to the fact that they aren't asking because they're being polite or are genuinely interested. It sort of slowly dawns on me, by which time I feel 'locked into' the conversation. If only I could think of something to say which communicated it clearly in a way that they'd understand. Maybe I could ask whether their kids went to school, and ask whether anyone questioned that decision, and then ask how they'd feel if someone ever did. Or would that seem a little too arch? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, I've been looking for this quote for ages - I do love it, although it's probably every bit as arch as what you suggested!

    I was asked in public once, 'Are you willing to risk your children’s future on your theories?'
    'Yes. Aren’t you?' was my answer then and still is. — Sandra Dodd

    ReplyDelete