Tuesday 24 November 2009

(Meme) Mento-Mori

Sandra Dodd's blog (link on the sidebar) featured this. Great fun - all you do is pick the 6th photo from the 6th picture folder on your computer and then post it. Here's mine:-



Actually, my sixth folder was - inexplicably - empty (it should have contained images of a coalminers' banner) So this is from my seventh. It contains pictures of an experiment we did about .Boyles Law - and the relationship in gases between pressure and volume.

It's a cool meme this, bringing you back to things you might not otherwise look at for ages. Just what I needed to cheer me up.

We currently have a parliamentary petition on the go, to attempt to stall the speed of this draconian new bill. I've found support from surprising quarters - friends with whom I've never really discussed home education, but who have come to their own conclusions from personal research. I've also found that other friends truly see the government as a benign institution that can be a superior parent to ... well, parents. I've heard several very intelligent people quote back to me the very smear campaigns that we thought we'd managed to see off through cool, clear reason and properly applied statistics.

So, the smears represent another, more sinister, kind of meme entirely. I guess it's a lesson in the power of propaganda

No comments:

Post a Comment